Skip to main content

Because you know I'm all about that...date



The curse of being self-employed is that you often don’t know when or where your next job is coming from.  This is also part of the fun, but can make dealing with you quite annoying.  Not knowing when you will be busy or if you will have an income in the foreseeable future is both concerning and irritating.  Financially, mortgages, rent, travel costs all need to be budgeted for BEFORE deciding you can afford the fancy coffee en route to an audition. 

The thing I struggle more with though is booking things.  For a long time, I either didn't book things or had mild palpitations when I did.  “Booking things” for me covers the gamut of events from a routine dental appointment in 6 months’ time to theatre trips to holidays.

Ah holidays.  These are things that many actors don’t have for YEARS for the following reasons.  Reason one:  money (massive drama school debt and profit share plays mean no savings).  Reason two:  the curse.  The curse is that if you book a holiday YOU WILL GET OFFERED AN ACTING JOB.  You would think that this may encourage many a foray onto Expedia in the hope of tricking fate but doesn't because of… Reason three: sod’s law.  Sod’s law for actors is mainly needing to be in two places at the same time.  You can guarantee that if you are pencilled for a job, someone will offer you an audition for that same day which you’ll have to refuse because of the pencil and that then you’ll end up losing them both (true story).

Over time I've had to learn to control my FOMO* and just roll with it – you can’t be all things to all people and you can’t be in more than one place at a time (until someone perfects a Time-Turner that is) So now I try to say YES, deal with a date clash IF it comes up and live life to the fullest.




*FOMO for the non-text speak generation, is Fear Of Missing Out



Twitter: @mirandacolmans
Website: www.mirandacolmans.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MirandaColmans

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Awake: Part 1 - The Road to Edinburgh

Awake:   Part 1 The Road to Edinburgh By Miranda Colmans January 2017 The January blues hit. Hard.   So much so that my colleagues at my permanent-temp job think that there is something seriously wrong with me.   I’m in a terrible mood a lot of the time.   Something has to change. February 2017 By chance, I see that The Space Theatre are doing a writing challenge “28 Plays in 28 Days”.   It starts the next day.   I sign up without really thinking about it and then wonder what on earth I’ve got myself into.   I’m not a hugely competitive person, however I am a bit OCD which means that once I start something, I like to finish it.   During the month, I write a play each day, in a myriad of styles and genres.   It is stretching and enriching. Taking part gives me the confidence boost I need to take the plunge and apply for a slot at the Edinburgh festival.   So, mid-Feb, mid writing challenge, I apply with little more than a summary and a snazzy tag line – and get a

The Swellest of Mobs

Things I’m glad I lugged to Edinburgh: ·          My gym kit ·          My Kindle and other things to read ·          My denim jacket that takes a long time to dry Things I’m genuinely glad I took to Edinburgh ·          Comfortable shoes ·          Absolutely no smart clothes ·          Tupperware ·          My Tinkerbell travel mug ·          Two sets of headphones (the dog ate one) As ever, Edfringe was a long, crazy, tiring but fun month.   At the half way mark it seemed that it would never end and that I’d be destined to walk up hill for an hour a day (ok, half an hour, the way home was downhill). But it did and all of a sudden, I was fighting my way onto a train at Waverley and heading back to London. At the fringe in 2017 I had a solo show and mainly flyered on my own.   I had a lot of wonderful support from family and friends but if I wasn’t there, there was no show.   This year couldn’t have been more different. The Swell Mob by Flabbergast

The value of being a tree

Two sets of figures for you: Total turnover in arts and culture in the UK in 2013 was £15.1 billion, with gross value added totally   £7.7billion [1] For every £1 of public funding paid to Arts Council England, the culture sector pays back £5 in tax contributions.   £1 paid in by the government, £5 return .  Pretty good. Why am I telling you this?  Well for a start, I think it’s quite interesting.  That’s a helluva lotta money!  It shows what a buoyant, successful and profitable industry the arts are.  The UK’s thriving tourism industry accounts for a huge 9% of the UK’s GDP [2] with 24% of visitors in London going to the theatre/ballet/opera [3] . And yet, as ever, the arts are under threat.  Funding from the government to a myriad of organisations is always in danger of being reduced or removed completely and drama and dance GCSEs are at risk being of side lined as they aren’t considered academic enough and this concerns me.  I understand that the