Skip to main content

Plate Spinning

I am currently rehearsing for a musical, it’s a fabulous new piece called “Musical of the Year” and I’m having a lot of fun.  It’s my first musical for a while and although I sing regularly in a choir and take dance classes weekly, I haven’t had to sing and dance AT THE SAME TIME for quite a while.  When learning the high octane finale number the other day I couldn’t hear much soprano – partly I realised mid-pirouette, because I wasn’t actually singing.  Apparently my body, much like an old PC, was struggling to run both the “remember new choreography” and “sing correct lyrics in right key” programmes at the same time.

Thinking about this later, it struck me that this is what actors have to do quite a lot - multitask.  This is an overused phrase but it is quite apt.  Day job: Unless you are one of the lucky few who have a long contract or are a much sought after actor, most actors have one or several other jobs they have to juggle around auditions and rehearsals.  CPD (Continuing Professional Development): taking acting, singing or dance classes, keeping fit in the gym or going for a run to make sure you are on good form for when that audition/job comes through.  Support Group:  Maintaining relationships with friends and family and being there for them as much as they are for you.  If you have children or significant family obligations this will be an even higher priority.  Daily grind:  Cooking, shopping, cleaning…  All take effort and organisation – even the most disorganised actor is probably more on top of things than you may think.

For me, organisation comes in the form of a yearly offering.  I am pretty tech savvy, but I am old school when it comes to my diary.  When my Equity diary arrives around September every year, I carefully fill in significant dates and events and then usually decorate the cover (who doesn’t love stickers?) and this little book becomes my bible for the year.  I would be lost without it.


I’m not saying actors have it harder than anyone else, but there is certainly an art to running several versions of yourself simultaneously – the actor, the daughter, the husband, the carer, the receptionist, the front of house manager, the promo girl with a sample of shampoo, the guy in the voice class, the children’s Saturday morning dance coach, the girl mumbling lines on the tube while eating a banana, the waiter…  And people have the cheek to ask if we are “resting”!


Twitter: @mirandacolmans
Website: www.mirandacolmans.com
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MirandaColmans

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The value of being a tree

Two sets of figures for you: Total turnover in arts and culture in the UK in 2013 was £15.1 billion, with gross value added totally   £7.7billion [1] For every £1 of public funding paid to Arts Council England, the culture sector pays back £5 in tax contributions.   £1 paid in by the government, £5 return .  Pretty good. Why am I telling you this?  Well for a start, I think it’s quite interesting.  That’s a helluva lotta money!  It shows what a buoyant, successful and profitable industry the arts are.  The UK’s thriving tourism industry accounts for a huge 9% of the UK’s GDP [2] with 24% of visitors in London going to the theatre/ballet/opera [3] . And yet, as ever, the arts are under threat.  Funding from the government to a myriad of organisations is always in danger of being reduced or removed completely and drama and dance GCSEs are at risk being of side lined as they aren’t considered academic enough and this concerns me.  I understand that the

Awake: Part 1 - The Road to Edinburgh

Awake:   Part 1 The Road to Edinburgh By Miranda Colmans January 2017 The January blues hit. Hard.   So much so that my colleagues at my permanent-temp job think that there is something seriously wrong with me.   I’m in a terrible mood a lot of the time.   Something has to change. February 2017 By chance, I see that The Space Theatre are doing a writing challenge “28 Plays in 28 Days”.   It starts the next day.   I sign up without really thinking about it and then wonder what on earth I’ve got myself into.   I’m not a hugely competitive person, however I am a bit OCD which means that once I start something, I like to finish it.   During the month, I write a play each day, in a myriad of styles and genres.   It is stretching and enriching. Taking part gives me the confidence boost I need to take the plunge and apply for a slot at the Edinburgh festival.   So, mid-Feb, mid writing challenge, I apply with little more than a summary and a snazzy tag line – and get a

Things they don't teach in drama school...

Things they don't teach in drama school... Drama school is just like the film FAME: acting, singing and dancing every day, emotional, full of laughter, sweat and tears, maybe slightly less use of legwarmers but essentially, it’s exactly the same. However, when you leave the cosy cocoon and enter the big scary world of being “an actor”, there are a few things that you realise the Professional Studies class should have covered… Small children will heckle you A lot of drama graduates will do at least one TIE (Theatre in Education) or panto tour at some point in their career.  The pay and comfort of these tours varies wildly from (a) three people in a Nissan Micra with their entire set & costumes and a box of maps, to (b) being driven around by a stage manager in a cosy, fitted out van.  By and large, these jobs involve getting up VERY EARLY in the morning, driving to a school or care home, being offered a cup of tea, negotiating swing doors and stair cases while car