Skip to main content

#28PlaysLater

February. The shortest month of the year.  It felt like the longest at some points.

I have just completed the “28 Plays in 28 days” challenge set up by The Space Theatre - yes that’s correct, I wrote 28 plays in 28 days.  I made the decision to enter very last minute – I saw it advertised on Twitter, had a quick look, fired off an email and half an hour later had committed to the challenge.  I think if I’d thought about it, I probably wouldn’t have done it, but I am so glad that I did.

 At 10pm each evening an email from “Sebastian” appeared in my inbox with that day’s task, which had to be completed and emailed by 10am 36hours later.  The tasks ranged from writing a murder mystery, to being inspired by a song, a play with no plot, a play with no actors, personal pieces, biographical stories of fictional people, finishing a play you never finished and so on.  Each task was different and challenging.

What I found fun was that there wasn’t a lot of time to think.  I mainly had to just start writing as time was always against me.  So the things I wrote about I think were quite instinctive and uncensored.  I was able to write about characters who have been dancing around in my head for years and create completely new people.  I was forced to think about what kind of audience I was aiming at and how each play would be staged.  I am quite a visual person, so I always included some kind of description of the staging, lighting and sound as it helped me to focus on the space and the story.

As I’ve been telling people about it, I’ve had a lot of the same questions, the most common being: “How long is a play?”  I think that is very much a piece of string question.  Mine ranged from 3-16 pages long and had anywhere from 1-10 characters involved.  They were set in schools, in space, on a cruise ship, in a gym, a hotel, a bus, a tomb…  My aim with each play was to try to tell a complete story (except for the challenge of writing a play without a plot…) so that was my bench mark for completing each of them.

Some of what I wrote was pretty ropey but I think a couple of them were quite good.  There are definitely some that I will come back to and develop further – one or two I can see being full length plays, one I’d turn into a book and I now have a little library of ideas which have already been developed and are full of possibilities.


However, the overriding thing for me was the confidence which it has given me.  Although I’ve been writing for years, I’ve never had the assertion to say “I’m a writer” but I now I think I can.  And I will.

Find me on:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The value of being a tree

Two sets of figures for you: Total turnover in arts and culture in the UK in 2013 was £15.1 billion, with gross value added totally   £7.7billion [1] For every £1 of public funding paid to Arts Council England, the culture sector pays back £5 in tax contributions.   £1 paid in by the government, £5 return .  Pretty good. Why am I telling you this?  Well for a start, I think it’s quite interesting.  That’s a helluva lotta money!  It shows what a buoyant, successful and profitable industry the arts are.  The UK’s thriving tourism industry accounts for a huge 9% of the UK’s GDP [2] with 24% of visitors in London going to the theatre/ballet/opera [3] . And yet, as ever, the arts are under threat.  Funding from the government to a myriad of organisations is always in danger of being reduced or removed completely and drama and dance GCSEs are at risk being of side lined as they aren’t considered academic enough and this concerns me.  I understand that the

Awake: Part 1 - The Road to Edinburgh

Awake:   Part 1 The Road to Edinburgh By Miranda Colmans January 2017 The January blues hit. Hard.   So much so that my colleagues at my permanent-temp job think that there is something seriously wrong with me.   I’m in a terrible mood a lot of the time.   Something has to change. February 2017 By chance, I see that The Space Theatre are doing a writing challenge “28 Plays in 28 Days”.   It starts the next day.   I sign up without really thinking about it and then wonder what on earth I’ve got myself into.   I’m not a hugely competitive person, however I am a bit OCD which means that once I start something, I like to finish it.   During the month, I write a play each day, in a myriad of styles and genres.   It is stretching and enriching. Taking part gives me the confidence boost I need to take the plunge and apply for a slot at the Edinburgh festival.   So, mid-Feb, mid writing challenge, I apply with little more than a summary and a snazzy tag line – and get a

Fearless

Why write a play?  To tell a story, to make a point, to educate, to entertain?  I go to the theatre a lot and sometimes I do wonder why the play I’ve just seen has been put on.  Did I learn anything?  Did I laugh?  I don’t always expect a riotous night out but I want to be engaged . Verbatim theatre has been around for a while.  For the uninitiated, “Verbatim theatre is a form of documentary theatre in which plays are constructed from the precise words spoken by people interviewed about a particular event or topic.” (Wikipedia)  For me, it’s like watching a film which opens with “based on true life events” – I am immediately interested. Deep Cut & The Riots at the Tricycle, London Road at the National, John by DV8 are just a few recent productions.  I saw JOHN and found it to be a fascinating insight into one man’s life – someone I would probably never meet, who had lived a life I knew very little about.  And hearing his tale, in his words and delivery (performed super