Skip to main content

Dive in, lose yourself


“Hi everyone, just to let you know, I’ve been cast in an immersive show and I’m heading off to Edinburgh in August”

“Brilliant!”  “Congratulations!”  “Well done!”  “Exciting!”

“What is an immersive show?”

Ah.  Yes.  Exactly.  What is an immersive show?  After two weeks of R&D I think I can now answer that question.

Immersive theatre is the thing at the moment.  With the huge success of companies such as Secret Cinema, dining opportunities like The Fawlty Towers Dining Experience and the current birthday party phenomenon that is escape rooms – the audience for immersive work is huge.  Audiences are looking for a thrill.  An up-close experience.  Something a little different.

My go-to for definitions is usually Google/Wikipedia.  In this case “immersive” is lumped in with “interactive theatre” with Wikipedia saying “...immersive theatre, which brings the audience into the same playing space as the performers, obliterating any walls that separate the audience from the performers

I’m working with the fabulous Flabbergast Theatre on their immersive production “The Swell Mob”.  We’ve had an immensely fun couple of weeks, spending our days running and rolling around the floors of a church, screaming into the vaulted ceiling during the longest British heatwave in 40 years.  It’s been sweaty.  But also, incredibly freeing.  It’s a real gift for an actor be told “...this is a safe space, there’s no right or wrong answer, just try it...” and to know that that is genuinely true. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed being surrounded by a diverse group of incredibly creative, fearless performers.

The Swell Mob has been devised by us, the cast.  Henry Maynard and Jordan Chandler, our directors, have always had a detailed and clear vision for the piece but have invited us to bring ideas and characters to the table.  And creating a character has been a lot of fun.

In a production where you have a script, a lot of the character work has been done for you.  Every actor will bring themselves and their own unique take on a character to a production (otherwise why would we be interested in seeing different actors play Hamlet or Lady Bracknell) but you’ve usually got a strong starting point from the playwright.  When creating a character from scratch, all the decisions are yours. It’s a lot of work.  There’s a great deal of play and editing.  Putting your character in an improvised scenario is one of the most helpful ways to develop them.  How do they react to their surroundings?  How do they interact with other people?  If asked questions, how much do they give away about themselves – how open are they?  Do they lie?  What makes them laugh?  Do they believe in God?

For the actors in The Swell Mob there is going to be a lot of improvisation at every performance because with an immersive show you really have to factor in the audience.  And every audience is different.  Any performer will tell you – you could be in a long run of a well-known show and every performance and audience will differ because we are all human and how we react will vary from person to person, day to day.  And that’s what makes live theatre interesting and engaging.  In a live immersive show, if I go up to and introduce myself to one person, they may want to have a chat while another may back off in terror.  This is something I’m really looking forward to.  But to cope with this I have to know my character inside out because every interaction will be different and every audience member deserves to meet a well-rounded, believable person.

And so, as I pack for Edinburgh (a seemingly unseasonably warm Edinburgh, will I even use my umbrella?) I think about HER and how she’d pack for Edinburgh.  Because, you never know, someone may just ask me.

TICKETS:  https://www.assemblyfestival.com/whats-on/the-swell-mob


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The value of being a tree

Two sets of figures for you: Total turnover in arts and culture in the UK in 2013 was £15.1 billion, with gross value added totally   £7.7billion [1] For every £1 of public funding paid to Arts Council England, the culture sector pays back £5 in tax contributions.   £1 paid in by the government, £5 return .  Pretty good. Why am I telling you this?  Well for a start, I think it’s quite interesting.  That’s a helluva lotta money!  It shows what a buoyant, successful and profitable industry the arts are.  The UK’s thriving tourism industry accounts for a huge 9% of the UK’s GDP [2] with 24% of visitors in London going to the theatre/ballet/opera [3] . And yet, as ever, the arts are under threat.  Funding from the government to a myriad of organisations is always in danger of being reduced or removed completely and drama and dance GCSEs are at risk being of side lined as they aren’t considered academic enough and this concerns me.  I understand that the

Awake: Part 1 - The Road to Edinburgh

Awake:   Part 1 The Road to Edinburgh By Miranda Colmans January 2017 The January blues hit. Hard.   So much so that my colleagues at my permanent-temp job think that there is something seriously wrong with me.   I’m in a terrible mood a lot of the time.   Something has to change. February 2017 By chance, I see that The Space Theatre are doing a writing challenge “28 Plays in 28 Days”.   It starts the next day.   I sign up without really thinking about it and then wonder what on earth I’ve got myself into.   I’m not a hugely competitive person, however I am a bit OCD which means that once I start something, I like to finish it.   During the month, I write a play each day, in a myriad of styles and genres.   It is stretching and enriching. Taking part gives me the confidence boost I need to take the plunge and apply for a slot at the Edinburgh festival.   So, mid-Feb, mid writing challenge, I apply with little more than a summary and a snazzy tag line – and get a

Fearless

Why write a play?  To tell a story, to make a point, to educate, to entertain?  I go to the theatre a lot and sometimes I do wonder why the play I’ve just seen has been put on.  Did I learn anything?  Did I laugh?  I don’t always expect a riotous night out but I want to be engaged . Verbatim theatre has been around for a while.  For the uninitiated, “Verbatim theatre is a form of documentary theatre in which plays are constructed from the precise words spoken by people interviewed about a particular event or topic.” (Wikipedia)  For me, it’s like watching a film which opens with “based on true life events” – I am immediately interested. Deep Cut & The Riots at the Tricycle, London Road at the National, John by DV8 are just a few recent productions.  I saw JOHN and found it to be a fascinating insight into one man’s life – someone I would probably never meet, who had lived a life I knew very little about.  And hearing his tale, in his words and delivery (performed super