Skip to main content

Going Cold Turkey


Going Cold Turkey

Social media.  Love it or hate it, it’s here to stay.  You can’t escape it.  Every programme on TV helpfully puts its #suggestedhastag at the bottom of the screen and even David Dimbleby is reminded to mention it during Question Time each week – though I often feel he isn’t quite sure what Twitter is…

Every Lent I like to give myself a challenge and this year I decided to quit social media.  I’m not a big Facebook-er unless shamelessly self-promoting whatever I happen to be doing in my career but I was feeling that Instagram was beginning to take over my life.  I’d love to know the hours I’ve spent scrolling, staring vacuously at my phone screen, it would be days’ worth of time.  And this is disturbing.  It is a literal waste of time.  Instagram does have its uses – there are some lovely communities on there and who doesn’t love to see a photo of a kitten?  However, it is also known as a hotbed for battering confidence and depleting self-worth.  It’s easy to forget when looking on Instagram that this is an edited, varnished version of someone’s life.  Whether it’s the amazingly healthy, delicious lunch they’ve just consumed, the dressing room selfie, the sunset in exotic location, the group of friends having a great night out – this photo has been chosen from many and likely cropped and filtered to make it perfect.  I’ve posted photos of all of the above so I’m not above scrutiny but I had to ask myself why?  Everyone likes to be liked (or “LOVED” on Instagram) and there’s no escaping the confidence boost that racking up the hearts has.

The big one for me is Twitter.  I love Twitter.  It’s always first for breaking stories and as an actor it’s great for networking and keeping in touch with fellow creatives.  I’ve got work through seeing posts on Twitter, seen great shows and been able to promote not only myself but causes that I feel passionately about to a wider audience.  I often post about theatre, films etc that I’ve seen and I like to share my opinions on all the Oscar and BAFTA nominated films and not doing that has been a real challenge.  I can live without sharing a photo of my excellent vegan cookies but not being able to tell the world how much I enjoyed Lady Bird was way harder!

To make matters harder, I could not work out how to log out of the Twitter app on my phone (I’m not usually so technologically challenged).  I did manage this with Instagram but it still sends me a whiny, needy little message every couple of days telling me how many unseen notifications I’ve got.  LOOK AT ME it’s silently shouting.  No, I shall not.

So, what have I learnt? 

I’ve noticed that my concentration has improved – I used to find it nigh on impossible to sit through a tv show without checking my phone.

I’ve learnt that Instagram is indeed the bleating, bleeping carbuncle that I thought it was. 

With Facebook, I’ve certainly missed a few events (sorry anyone!) but any life changing happenings have been reported to me, because even though I may not be on Facebook, everyone else still is so I don’t feel I’ve missed out there in particular. 

Twitter – I literally didn’t know what was going on in the world – I’ve made time to watch the news again and this is probably better.

Will I give up social media for good?  No, I’m not anti-social media, I love that I can keep in touch with friends and family all over the world and be a part of their lives.  But this experience has absolutely made me realise that I don’t need it in my life every day and that I need to monitor the time I spend on it.  My itchy fingers have picked up things to read instead and this can only be a good thing. 

p.s. I am fully aware of the irony of promoting this blog via social media…. I did say it wasn’t all bad  😊
p.p.s. I did tweet once during this time, it was a reply to a direct tweet and I didn't want to be rude by not responding...  Manners are important

https://twitter.com/mirandacolmans
https://www.facebook.com/MirandaColmans
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2650572

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Awake: Part 1 - The Road to Edinburgh

Awake:   Part 1 The Road to Edinburgh By Miranda Colmans January 2017 The January blues hit. Hard.   So much so that my colleagues at my permanent-temp job think that there is something seriously wrong with me.   I’m in a terrible mood a lot of the time.   Something has to change. February 2017 By chance, I see that The Space Theatre are doing a writing challenge “28 Plays in 28 Days”.   It starts the next day.   I sign up without really thinking about it and then wonder what on earth I’ve got myself into.   I’m not a hugely competitive person, however I am a bit OCD which means that once I start something, I like to finish it.   During the month, I write a play each day, in a myriad of styles and genres.   It is stretching and enriching. Taking part gives me the confidence boost I need to take the plunge and apply for a slot at the Edinburgh festival.   So, mid-Feb, mid writing challenge, I apply with little more than a summary and a snazzy tag line – and get a

The Swellest of Mobs

Things I’m glad I lugged to Edinburgh: ·          My gym kit ·          My Kindle and other things to read ·          My denim jacket that takes a long time to dry Things I’m genuinely glad I took to Edinburgh ·          Comfortable shoes ·          Absolutely no smart clothes ·          Tupperware ·          My Tinkerbell travel mug ·          Two sets of headphones (the dog ate one) As ever, Edfringe was a long, crazy, tiring but fun month.   At the half way mark it seemed that it would never end and that I’d be destined to walk up hill for an hour a day (ok, half an hour, the way home was downhill). But it did and all of a sudden, I was fighting my way onto a train at Waverley and heading back to London. At the fringe in 2017 I had a solo show and mainly flyered on my own.   I had a lot of wonderful support from family and friends but if I wasn’t there, there was no show.   This year couldn’t have been more different. The Swell Mob by Flabbergast

The value of being a tree

Two sets of figures for you: Total turnover in arts and culture in the UK in 2013 was £15.1 billion, with gross value added totally   £7.7billion [1] For every £1 of public funding paid to Arts Council England, the culture sector pays back £5 in tax contributions.   £1 paid in by the government, £5 return .  Pretty good. Why am I telling you this?  Well for a start, I think it’s quite interesting.  That’s a helluva lotta money!  It shows what a buoyant, successful and profitable industry the arts are.  The UK’s thriving tourism industry accounts for a huge 9% of the UK’s GDP [2] with 24% of visitors in London going to the theatre/ballet/opera [3] . And yet, as ever, the arts are under threat.  Funding from the government to a myriad of organisations is always in danger of being reduced or removed completely and drama and dance GCSEs are at risk being of side lined as they aren’t considered academic enough and this concerns me.  I understand that the